Starting school at Woodcroft in September 2017
Starting school is an exciting time for both parents and children. You should now be thinking about applying for your child’s reception class place if they had their 3rd birthday before September. Generally, this will be children currently in a nursery.
The Headteacher will be holding meetings for parents at 9.00an and 12.45pm on Friday 11th November to go over the application process.
Applications opened on 1st September for Reception Class places starting in September 2017. All pupils need to apply. Attendance at our Nursery is not a guarantee of a place. Follow the link below to complete the online application.
The closing date for applications for entry into Reception class in September 2017 is: 15th January 2017
- Reception places will be offered to children who will have their fifth birthday between 1st September and 31st August in the relevant academic year of entry.
- Application for Reception should be made directly to the local authority.
- A place in Woodcroft Nursery is not a guarantee of a Reception place.
Please be aware that Woodcroft’s Reception is generally oversubscribed. You MUST apply on time to stand the best chance of gaining a place.
Full details of the application process can be found in the links below:
Barnet’s Primary School Admissions Guide 2016. The guide includes:
- school admission arrangements
- how to choose a school
- the application timetable
- contact details for Barnet primary schools.
There is also a copy of the Headteacher’s presentation to parents available below:
The following criteria will apply to all admissions:-
- Children for whom a Statement of Special Educational Needs has been made or is likely to be made and for whom the school has been named.
- Other children whom the Chief Executive Officer accepts a medical, social or educational need that the school is particularly able to meet.
- Children who have a brother or sister living at the same address, who already attends the school
- Geographical location.
The Headteacher will arrange a meeting with all parents/carers prior to their child entering Reception. This will take place during the summer term prior to your child starting Reception. At this meeting you will be given your child’s starting date. Also, if your child did not attend Woodcroft Nursery you will be asked to attend an induction meeting during the first two weeks of the Autumn Term.
In September, all children who are 5 between 1st September and 31st August and have previously attended Woodcroft Nursery will be admitted during September. On entering Reception children will follow a similar pattern of sessions that they have been familiar with in Nursery. After a minimum of 1 week’s induction children will then increase their provision up to full time provision. This will generally occur in consultation between parent/carers and the Reception Staff.
It is our aim that all children should be attended part time education within one month and all children attend full time reception by the end of term.
Settling your child into school
For many young children school will be the first real experience away from their families outside the familiar settings of their home. We know all children are individuals and take different amounts of time to settle in. Our experienced staff will be on hand to discuss your concerns.