At Woodcroft pupils are offered a broad and balanced PE and Sport curriculum that provides for the development of progressive skills through high quality lessons that inspire children to succeed in Physical Education.
In 2015 we received two of the most prestigious national awards for school sport and PE. The afPE Quality Mark recognises continued excellence in the development of PE and Sport. The Sainsbury’s School Games GOLD Award is the top accolade of this Government led scheme that rewards schools for their commitment to competition across their school and the community.
Woodcroft provides opportunities for children to become more confident, not only in sports but also in adopting a healthier lifestyle. The school was attained the Healthy Schools Silver Award in 2015. Our curriculum lends itself to developing the pupil’s confidence in a range of sporting activities and for them to engage in competitive sports. It also helps to teach and encourage good sportsmanship and leadership skills.
The AIM@Sport curriculum is supported by our annual whole school personal development programmes ‘Be The Best You Can Be’ and ‘Olympic Values’. These two programmes, along with equivalent initiatives in ‘The Arts’ and ‘Technology’ promote British Values within the 4 year AIM@Woodcroft cycle.
Please click on the link to view our PE curriculum map for 2015: PE Curriculum Map
We offer a growing number of sports clubs and a broad range of sporting activities throughout the year. The PE team work hard to ensure that all pupils are offered a sport club of their choice and to ensure that our participation level continues to increase every term.
Please click on the link to see the sports clubs that we offer for the 2015-16 academic year: Club Timetable
Enrichment and Events
Here are just some of the many events we take part and ways in which we enrich the PE and Sport curriculum:
- We are members of the Barnet School Sport Partnership (BSSP)
- Host an annual School Games Day.
- Active participants in the football and netball leagues.
- Attend and represent Woodcroft in a range of tournaments, festivals and sporting events that the BSSP host.
- Have specialist PE teachers and coaches working with the pupils to improve gymnastics and games skills.
- Our resident dance choreographer works with KS2 classes and runs two dance and cheerleading clubs.
- Host regular whole school events with sports providers such as. Kidz Fit and Team Super Schools.
- Value pupil voice through a School Sports Council to help develop the subject and organise events through pupil voice.
- Enter national competitions such as Rock Challenge.
- Encourage leadership skills across Years 1-6 with our Bronze Ambassador Programme
- Promote healthy lifestyles through our whole school ‘Fruit and Veg’ challenge and Active Fit Club.
- Provide weekly swimming lessons in Year 4 to help them achieve the National Curriculum expectations.
The PE and Sport facilities at Woodcroft are outstanding:
- Large sports hall for games and gymnastics with large apparatus
- Immersive hall/dance studio
- Three fully equipped playgrounds with climbing equipment and sport games.
- Outside dance stages in all playgrounds
- Floodlit netball / 5-a-side football outside pitch
- Fully resourced and up to date equipment for curriculum PE and Sport clubs
- Digital resources to support PE e.g. cameras, projectors and tablets
To supplement our in-house facilities we also,
- Use Burnt Oak Leisure Centre where we host our weekly football team training.
- Visit Barnet Copthall swimming pool for weekly curriculum lessons
In addition to well trained class teachers Woodcroft also offers:
- Full time PE Specialist Teacher
- PE Games Coach
- Professional Dance Choreographer
- Specialist club coaches: Gymnastics, Hockey. Multi-Sports
Our PE and Sport Achievements
- Barnet West 2015-16 Netball League Champions
- Runners up – Barnet West Football League
- Runner Up – Tottenham Foundation North London U11 Tournament
- GOLD Award for the Sainsbury’s School Games Mark for 2015
- afPE (Association for Physical Education) Quality Mark 2015
- Rock Challenge dance: Regional winners 2013, runners up 2014, short film winners 2015
- Successful inclusive boccia team: 2014 Aspire Boccia tournament winners.
- Barnet Sports Award Team of The Year Runners Up 2014: Our Rock Challenge club have been runners up in the prestigious Barnet Sports Awards.
At Woodcroft Primary School we believe in participation for all. We want all adults and children to participate in PE and Sport, as part of an inclusive culture in our school, being responsive to the diversity of children’s backgrounds, interests, experience, knowledge and skills. Here are just a few ways that we try to encourage inclusion:
- J Rock dance group worked in partnership with Northway Primary School and performed together at the Barnet Dance Festival.
- Active participation in inclusive sports with our Boccia team and Barnet Bar No One festivals
- Lemon Jelly Inclusive dance sessions
- All the children in Year 4 attend weekly swimming and their needs are meet.
- Active Fun C4L club encourages children to lead healthier lifestyles.
We aim to maintain the high standards of performance and opportunity by:
- Working towards renewal of afPE with distinction
- Developing opportunities for outdoor adventurous activities