At Woodcroft we teach Spanish throughout the school. We believe that learning a foreign language provides an opening to other cultures; fostering pupils’ curiosity and deepening their understanding of the world.
Through a high quality languages education we provide opportunities for pupils to be able express their ideas and thoughts in Spanish and to understand and respond to speakers, both in speech and in writing.
Our Spanish curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in Spanish
The Spanish curriculum at Woodcroft focuses on practical communication and lays the foundations for further foreign language study at key stage 3.
Pupils learn how to communicate ideas, facts and feelings in speech and writing; within familiar contexts and cross curricular topics by:
- Exploring the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Engaging in conversations; asking and answering questions; express opinions and respond to those of others
- Speaking in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Developing accurate pronunciation and intonation
- Presenting ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- Reading to show and understanding of words, phrases
- Appreciating stories, songs, poems and rhymes in Spanish
- Writing phrases from memory
- Describing people, places, things and actions orally
At Woodcroft we utilise a range of different teaching materials to support our Spanish curriculum. Our main resource is ‘Language Angels’. This is a complete suite of teaching resources provided for every lesson in the primary phase.
The following documents provide key information about the Spanish foreign language curriculum at Woodcroft.
Visit a curriculum subject page by clicking the link listed below: