Arrangements for Winter 2017-18
The following arrangements are put into operation at school, during days when we experience disruption caused by severe snow or extreme weather.
Snow Day Information
- A text is sent to parents by 8.00am if the school is going to close. Parents are asked NOT call the school as staff will be busy and cannot answer. Calling the school also blocks the lines for essential calls to be made..
- Information will be posted on the school website.
- If conditions deteriorate during a school day a decision may be made to close the school early. A text will always be sent parents to inform them of any changes.
- If you do not hear from the school then assume it is a normal day and we are OPEN w9w
Restricted Site Access and Priority Path Clearance
On mornings disrupted by heavy snow we will do the following:
- Only open the main, middle front gate and clear the path to the front entrance
- Keep the top front gate locked due to unsafe steps. We will also keep the top, junior, entrance door closed.
- The Foundation Stage entrance will be cleared, however grit cannot be used on the safety surface – so please take extra care.
- The back gates to the main playground will be OPEN but the paths may NOT be cleared of snow. Parents who use the back entrance do so at their own risk as this route may NOT be gritted.
- Parents should ensure that children use the gritted path to access the classrooms
- From 8.45am children can access classrooms directly through the corridors from the main entrance
On snow days we ask that parents and children DO NOT arrive at school early, i.e. before 8.45am, and avoid congregating in school foyer before classes begin. Only children who attend Breakfast Club or scheduled morning activities should arrive before 8.45am.
Registration on Snow Days
On snow days, if you have received a text to say the school is open but with the restrictions described above, children will not be marked late until after 9.15am. Therefore, on severe snow days children can arrive between 8.45am and 9.15am. This flexible start will help avoid congestion on the roads and pavements outside school and improve safety. If you do not receive a text then registration is at the normal time of 8.55am.
Early Closing for Snow and Severe Weather Dismissals
If the school needs to close early due to deteriorating weather conditions or we have severe weather at 3.15pm then a text will be sent to parents. The following procedures will operate:
- Children will remain in their classroom
- All appropriate entrances and corridors will be opened
- Parents and carers will collect children directly from the classroom.
This system has worked well in the past. Corridors will be congested, so we ask for care and patience. Please try to operate a lane system down corridors i.e. drive your buggies on the left!
Thank you for your patience. We will always do everything possible to keep the school open throughout the winter without compromising the safety of your children.